The name “Cyber Monday” was coined five years ago by the Shop.org unit of the National Retail Federation to describe the 77% increase in sales on the second biggest online shopping day of the year. Cyber Monday has grown bigger and better since then, increasing to $608 million in 2005, $733 million in 2007 and $846 million in 2008.
Here are some tips for how to make the most of your time and money on Cyber Monday:
1. Sign up for email alerts – be informed about what sales are being offered in your favorite stores.
2. Follow your favorite retailers on Facebook or Twitter to be the first to hear about special offers
3. Check which retailers will give you free shipping.
4. Remember that sometimes, seeing the item in a real store is better than ordering it online.
5. Shop early – in case supplies are limited.
6. Enjoy your shopping!